What is the Use of Clinical Systems to Improve Outcomes
New technology—and the application of existing technology—only appears in healthcare settings after careful and significant research. The stakes are high, and new clinical systems need to offer evidence of positive impact on outcomes or efficiencies.
Nurse informaticists and healthcare leaders formulate clinical system strategies. As these strategies are often based on technology trends, informaticists and others have then benefited from consulting existing research to inform their thinking.
In this Assignment, you will review existing research focused on the application of clinical systems. After reviewing, you will summarize your findings.
· Review the Resources and reflect on the impact of clinical systems on outcomes and efficiencies within the context of nursing practice and healthcare delivery.
· Conduct a search for recent (within the last 5 years) research focused on the application of clinical systems. The research should provide evidence to support the use of one type of clinical system to improve outcomes and/or efficiencies, such as “the use of personal health records or portals to support patients newly diagnosed with diabetes.”
· Identify and select 5 peer-reviewed articles from your research.
The Assignment: (4-5 pages)
In a 4- to 5-page paper, synthesize the peer-reviewed research you reviewed. Be sure to address the following:
· Identify the 5 peer-reviewed articles you reviewed, citing each in APA format.
· Summarize each study, explaining the improvement to outcomes, efficiencies, and lessons learned from the application of the clinical system each peer-reviewed article described. Be specific and provide examples.
The assignment requires one to search the literature addressing the impact of clinical systems on outcomes and efficiencies in healthcare delivery, including nursing practice. You are required to located five (5) peer-reviewed articles published within the previous five (5) years. Points will be deducted for including articles not within this specific time frame or less than five articles.
The research should describe the use of information systems to improve health outcomes and efficiencies. Some examples include:
· An article that describes the use of personal health records to support adherence to medication regimen or appointment.
· Research describing the use of Computerized Physician Order Entry (CPOE) to reduce the risk of adverse drug events
· Evidence summarizing the role of clinical decision support systems (CDSS) and evidence-based practice
· Literature investigating the effect of mobile applications and chronic disease management
· Research that provides details regarding the effect of simulation and knowledge retention / learning among health care students
· An article identifying an association among electronic communication and efficiencies in care
· Literature describing the role of telehealth and healthcare access
You are required to summarize five, recent articles and identify the improvement to outcomes, efficiencies, and lessons learned. Please do not provide a summary that includes mostly direct quotes from the article. Summarize the content in your own words, cite accordingly, include references. Do not exceed five pages (excluding title page and references).