Hurricanes Katrina and Rita
Hurricanes Katrina and Rita
1. One of the results of the 2005 Hurricanes Katrina and Rita in Louisiana has been an increase in the influx of Spanish-speaking workers. Incorporating cultural and linguistic competence to meet the health needs of this population would include
a. having health care professional staff from different Spanish-speaking countries at health care facilities.
b. ensuring health services are in varying locations.
c. ensuring that all signage is posted completely in Spanish.
d. having all health care workers speak Spanish.
2. A mechanism health care organizations need to incorporate into their strategic plan for culturally and linguistically appropriate services includes 0 FINAL EXAM
a. goals, policies, accountability and oversight mechanisms addressing these services.
b. partnerships with community agencies.
c. mechanisms for client service reimbursement.
d. staff con? ict resolution policies.
3. Kwanzaa was created in the 1960s to raise awareness and pride for the African- American community. While its tenets can be applied to all people, this particular celebration was developed to celebrate a specific
a. social class. 0 FINAL EXAM
d. cultural group.
4. Parish Nursing is an aspect of nursing that is becoming more utilized. One of the bases of parish nursing is the premise that
a. it is easier to provide health services to a de? ned religious community.
b. a faith community has an impact on the health of its members.
c. illness is prevented through parish nursing.
d. members of a religion follow de? ned health practices.
5. After the Vietnam War, many Vietnamese immigrated to the United States and settled in areas where they could maintain many of the cultural customs and traditions of Vietnam, including festivals, Saturday schools to educate the children in the Vietnamese language and planting communal gardens. This is an example of
a. heritage consistency.
d. religious preference.
6. A seminal event in the boomer generation that can still elicit comment today is the question
a. ”How did the Challenger tragedy affect you?”
b. ”Where were you when John F. Kennedy was shot?”
c. ”Do you remember Pearl Harbor?”
d. ”What were you doing on September 11, 2001?”
7. A complaint of the boomer generation about the following generations regards work ethic. The “nester” generation born between 1979 and 1984 is more likely to embrace an ethic
a. of employer loyalty.
b. seeking to fit their lifestyle.
c. seeking maximum financial gain.
d. loyal to one’s skills in the marketplace.
8. The best outcome for health care facilities incorporating cultural care into their practices is
a. increased numbers of clients seeking care at these facilities.
b. improved health outcomes for the clients at these facilities.
c. better health care provided by the facility’s staff.
d. increased reimbursement by insurance companies for provided health services.
9. An important consideration when making a home health visit to a client is to:
a. give a general idea of when the visit will be made.
b. bring a gift to the client’s home on the initial visit.
c. just show up at the client’s home.
d. inform the client the approximate time the visit will be made.
10. Certain cultures place emphasis on eating speci? c foods during pregnancy and after childbirth to ensure a healthy mother and infant. This cultural phenomena is an example of
a. time orientation.
b. environmental control.
c. biological variation.
d. social organization.
11. Touch is an important component of nursing, but using it without understanding the client’s cultural background can be a violation of their
a. social organization.
b. environmental control.
c. space and territoriality.
d. time orientation.
12. Before doing any teaching it is important the client understands what is being taught. The most effective method to determine if the client understands any health teaching is by
a. ask the client if they understand what was said in the teaching.
b. speaking slowly and carefully to the client.
c. having the client repeat back what was said in his/her own words.
d. interpreting the client’s facial gestures.
13. Native Americans have a higher susceptibility to diabetes than other population groups within the United States. This is considered a(n)
a. biological variation.
b. component of heritage consistency.
c. social organization pattern.
d. environmental control.
14. While the Census Bureau has placed race as a sociopolitical construct, placing oneself into a racial category can still present a challenge. Those who consider themselves “Creole” would be more likely to place themselves into the category labeled
c. Black or African American.
d. Hispanic or Latino.
15. While shifts in the population profile are occurring, what is an important consideration to address in health care?
a. More physicians need to be trained to deliver health care.
b. Cultural health needs of varying groups must be considered.
c. Health care providers need to be younger to care for an aging population.
d. Health care needs to be streamlined for consistent care delivery.6
16. With the percentage of the 65+ population greatest among White non-Hispanics in the 2000 Census, health planning needs would indicate
a. there is no need to increase manufacture of childhood immunizations.
b. cultural accommodations for other minority groups can be decreased.
c. planning needs for other segments of the population can be revised downwards.
d. this population will have greater demands on the health care system as they age.
Hurricanes Katrina and Rita
ADDITIONAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE CLASS
Discussion Questions (DQ)
Initial responses to the DQ should address all components of the questions asked, include a minimum of one scholarly source, and be at least 250 words.
Successful responses are substantive (i.e., add something new to the discussion, engage others in the discussion, well-developed idea) and include at least one scholarly source.
One or two sentence responses, simple statements of agreement or “good post,” and responses that are off-topic will not count as substantive. Substantive responses should be at least 150 words.
I encourage you to incorporate the readings from the week (as applicable) into your responses.
Your initial responses to the mandatory DQ do not count toward participation and are graded separately.
In addition to the DQ responses, you must post at least one reply to peers (or me) on three separate days, for a total of three replies.
Participation posts do not require a scholarly source/citation (unless you cite someone else’s work).
Part of your weekly participation includes viewing the weekly announcement and attesting to watching it in the comments. These announcements are made to ensure you understand everything that is due during the week.
APA Format and Writing Quality
Familiarize yourself with APA format and practice using it correctly. It is used for most writing assignments for your degree. Visit the Writing Center in the Student Success Center, under the Resources tab in LoudCloud for APA paper templates, citation examples, tips, etc. Points will be deducted for poor use of APA format or absence of APA format (if required).
Cite all sources of information! When in doubt, cite the source. Paraphrasing also requires a citation.
I highly recommend using the APA Publication Manual, 6th edition.
Use of Direct Quotes
I discourage overutilization of direct quotes in DQs and assignments at the Masters’ level and deduct points accordingly.
As Masters’ level students, it is important that you be able to critically analyze and interpret information from journal articles and other resources. Simply restating someone else’s words does not demonstrate an understanding of the content or critical analysis of the content.
It is best to paraphrase content and cite your source.
For assignments that need to be submitted to LopesWrite, please be sure you have received your report and Similarity Index (SI) percentage BEFORE you do a “final submit” to me.
Once you have received your report, please review it. This report will show you grammatical, punctuation, and spelling errors that can easily be fixed. Take the extra few minutes to review instead of getting counted off for these mistakes.
Review your similarities. Did you forget to cite something? Did you not paraphrase well enough? Is your paper made up of someone else’s thoughts more than your own?
Visit the Writing Center in the Student Success Center, under the Resources tab in LoudCloud for tips on improving your paper and SI score.
The university’s policy on late assignments is 10% penalty PER DAY LATE. This also applies to late DQ replies.
Please communicate with me if you anticipate having to submit an assignment late. I am happy to be flexible, with advance notice. We may be able to work out an extension based on extenuating circumstances.
If you do not communicate with me before submitting an assignment late, the GCU late policy will be in effect.
I do not accept assignments that are two or more weeks late unless we have worked out an extension.
As per policy, no assignments are accepted after the last day of class. Any assignment submitted after midnight on the last day of class will not be accepted for grading.
Communication is so very important. There are multiple ways to communicate with me: Questions to Instructor Forum: This is a great place to ask course content or assignment questions. If you have a question, there is a good chance one of your peers does as well. This is a public forum for the class.
Individual Forum: This is a private forum to ask me questions or send me messages. This will be checked at least once every 24 hours.